Krisna Reece

  City of Birth:

Krisna's Story

Featured Story

It Has Been A Rough Year

I am adding this additional chapter to my introduction, because after I initially wrote the introduction, it was very difficult to come back to it and try to make sense of all that I have experienced through the various stages of my life and the trials that I have endured or overcome.  I wish ...


The Birth of Charles Leonard Wiggins

The story has already been written for awhile on my blog "From the heart of Praise, Prayer and Perseverance. 0; Here is a link to that posting, Below are the pictures of the blessed event.   http://fromthehea rt-dotwigg.blogsp other-2-prayer-re ml


Browse for more stories

Krisna's Story > Chapters > A New Chance at Life

"A New Kidney and A Chance At A Normal Life" 


Date Range: 01/01/1980 To 12/31/1988   Comments: 0   Views: 4,226
Attachments: No

     I finally received my first transplant on February 27, 1980 from my dad at Swedish Hospital in Seattle, Washington.  I was eight years old.  The transplant was successful but I had to stay in the hospital for several weeks.  The kidney was almost a perfect match.  A kidney with a six antigen match is a perfect match and the one I got from my dad was a five antigen match.  I did quite a few rejection attempts, but the doctors were able to stop the attempts using high doses of anti-rejection drugs.

     I had a wonderful second grade teacher named Doris Amundson.  She came to visit me in the hospital after my transplant.  I still have the little stuffed dog she gave me.  After I went home, I had a lot of homework to catch up on.  Mrs. Amundson came to my house after school and tutored me while was recovering.  When I was able to go back to school I was completely caught up.  I did not get to go back until almost the end of the year. 

     May 18, 1980 Mount St. Helens erupted.  I was in the hospital being treated for a rejection episode.  Fortunately doctors were able to reverse it.

     My third teacher was Mr. Morrison.  I did very well in school after my transplant with the exception of P.E.  I could not play any contact sports.  Although I did play volleyball because it was my favorite and there was less chance of being hit in the abdomen with the ball.  I also love badminton.  I won lots of awards in spelling bees and read-a-thons and things like that in grade school.  In third grade I tested in reading and got to skip two grades.  I went another classroom for reading class.  I was also exceptionally good in math, but I didn't skip any grades.

     The kids who already knew me did not give a hard time about my huge weight gain.  I had gained a lot of weight and had extremely puffy cheeks.  This was a side effect of the Prednisone I had to take for my transplant.  Prednisone also caused me to have a very large appetite.  One of the medications I took called Imuran suppressed my immune system.  I was teased a lot by kids who did not know me.  It was mainly the boys who were older or in other classes. 

     My parents got divorced after my first kidney transplant.  I cannot remember when exactly the divorce was final.  I believe the divorce was final after I turned nine.  My dad moved into an apartment on Kent, Washington's East Hill.  My sisters, Kari and Kelli and myself would go stay with him on the weekends.  My dad liked to do constructive things with us.  I remember this kit he had bought for him and me to put together.  It was a 3-dimensional picture.  It used little pieces of wood to raise the different dimensions.  My was letting me use an X-Acto knife to cut out the pieces of wood and the picture which was printed on card stock.  As I was doing this he said, "Don't...cut yourself."  My hand slipped and I cut my thumb with just as got "Don't" out of his mouth.  The was not very bad so my dad just cleaned the wound.  When he went to get a band-aid, he realized he did not have any.  We went and asked his neighbor if she had one.  She gave us a couple and we returned to my dad's apartment.  My dad put a band-aid on it and then we continued to make our little project. We had to paint the frame and glue the plastic piece into the frame that was supposed to be like the glass piece.  Then we had to put glue on the side of the back of the frame where the picture was and place it in the frame.  I recovered from my cut and now the scar is barely visible.

     My youngest sister, Karla, was born in 1982 when I was ten years old.  Kari was four going on five and Kelli had turned three the month before.  Karla was the closest to me growing up out of all my sisters.  I think that is because she was the one I had to take care of the most.  When she was a baby, I was the one who changed her diapers, fed her, and played with her.  Except when I was at school.  When she was old enough to do so, I was the one she asked for permission to go out and play.  I was the one who made dinner most of the time too.  She has told me time and time again that am not just her sister, I am her mom.  Karla is not my dad's biological daughter, but he has raised her and supported her since she was born.  He always included her in everything he did with the rest of us girls.

     I have always loved to sing, but I have always been terribly shy.  That didn't stop me from singing in the talent show in 4th, 5th and 6th grades.  Of course, I was shaking with fear and dripping with sweat by the time I was finished.  My dad was standing in the back of they gymnasium.  I know that is the only reason I got through the song.  I just kept my eyes on him the whole time.  He came to every one of my performances in the talent shows.  I sang, "Daddy Come Home" by George Jones and his daughter with Tammy Wynette, Georgette in 4th grade, "Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson in 5th grade and "Good Hearted Woman" by Waylon Jennings in 6th grade.  I pretty much listened to whatever my parents did growing up which was mostly Country Music and oldies Rock.  I liked it though, but as I got older, I started to listen to other stuff too.  In 6th grade, my teacher would let us bring in records (yes records) to play at recess.  I never brought any records to school because I never had any my classmates would've liked.  I had mostly cassette tapes and they were all Country.  I didn't know anyone in my class who liked Country music.  The kind of music the other kids brought in was Michael Jackson, Pat Benatar, Boy George and other popular artists in the Fall of and1984.  I liked just about all of it.

     I joined the school band 5th grade.  I started out trying to play the flute, but could never get anything to come out of it.  After about a month of trying the band instructor told me to switch to the clarinet.  I played the clarinet through the 9th grade.

Email this Story

Read more of Krisna's Stories   |   Read other great Stories


Related Files

No files attached to this story.



You must be registered to leave comments. Register here! It's free!

Already a member? Login here

No Comments have been posted yet.