Jonathan Halstead

  City of Birth:

Jonathan's Story

Featured Story

It Has Been A Rough Year

I am adding this additional chapter to my introduction, because after I initially wrote the introduction, it was very difficult to come back to it and try to make sense of all that I have experienced through the various stages of my life and the trials that I have endured or overcome.  I wish ...


The Birth of Charles Leonard Wiggins

The story has already been written for awhile on my blog "From the heart of Praise, Prayer and Perseverance. 0; Here is a link to that posting, Below are the pictures of the blessed event.   http://fromthehea rt-dotwigg.blogsp other-2-prayer-re ml


Browse for more stories

Jonathan's Story > Categories > More Childhood Memories

"Random Recollections throughout my childhood" 


Date Range: 01/01/2011 To 12/31/2011   Comments: 1   Views: 35,254
Attachments: Yes [4 Images]

We lived at 20 Boundary Drive from very young. This is a picture of the three of us in David's playpen in the back garden. Of course, we were older and bigger so we could climb in and out, David was not very happy about this!



For a top day out we were often taken to the Botanic Gardens in Southport. These photos were taken in 1963, and Mum looks pregnant with David.



A back up to the Botanic Gardens for entertainment was always the Key Park in Blundellsands. This was a private park that was paid for by subscription and entered with a key, hence the colloquial name. Mum would often take us here after school, probably to wear us out before going home!


In this photo, David and I are in our Ursuline uniform which means that we must have been 6 and 7 years old - as I only went there for one year. 

Meanwhile, back in Boundary Drive, one of our favourite activities would be to make exciting structures in the garden. As the eldest, Simon was of course the main architect and we would often build a rocket. The trouble was after building it he would often lose interest.







Next This is a picture of me in my St. Mary's, The Mount, uniform. Simon and I attended The Mount whilst David went to Ursuline (a convent school).


David is in the background of this picture in his Ursuline uniform.

A memory of primary school is watching Simon being bullied by a boy - Dean - in his class. Realising that things were about to escalate I decided distraction was needed so I smacked Dean in the face and burst his nose open. This certainly diffused the fight and afterwards Dean was then strapped by the Head for bullying and I got away scotfree! A result.

Simon left St. Mary's for Merchant Taylors'  School at the age of 11. I stayed at St. Mary's and David joined me there for senior school.

This Simon in his Merchant Taylors' uniform. The house behind is Boundary Drive.




Above is me in my 6th Form uniform. David is in the background. The best bit about the 6th Form was that it didn't indicate whether or not you were Lower or Upper 6th - as a result - pubs in Crosby would assume you were 18y and serve you beer - happy days. For my A levels I studied Maths, Geography, Economics and of course General Studies - it looked like an unusual mix but I went on to do PPE - and that was an unusual mix too, so par for the course.

Holidays. Now we only had two destinations - Llandudno or the Isle of Man (quite exotic to us at the time).

In Llandudno we always stayed at a Bed and Breakfast - called Mrs Gamble's Guest House - it was a few roads back from the seafront.

This picture was taken on the LLandudno Lifeboat.





We are standing next to a Mini but I don't think that it is Mum's because she usually had a Minivan because she did Dad's deliverys.

It was my ambition to have a dog and it had to be a Bassett Hound. We got him as a puppy and he was a complete nutter. We called him Fred.When he was young he refused to go on walks - the only dog who didn't want to go out for a walk! we used to have to physically drag him around Crosby to make him walk. Our ploy was to drag him away from the house and then let him walk back - which he would do quite happily. Once he ate a pack of butter - it was on the kitchen work top - and for a Bassett Hound that is quite some gymnastic feat. Of course, a few hours later the butter came out the other end and was pretty gross. Unfortunately he had a nasty habit of biting us and eventually had to be put to sleep when he was about 5 because he bit David on the eye. To be fair to Fred, David had shoved his face into the dog's face whilst he was asleep and unsurprisingly he bit him when he woke up.

This is our house in College Avenue - it was called Brampton by the previous owners. We thought that it was a stupid name so we stopped using it. Me and Simon slept at the front of the house and David was at the back. David's room was one of the few with a radiator in it. Someone before us had installed central heating - in half the rooms - why would you do that!

This is our cat Sam, sitting in David's excellent Tippatruck. The same year he got that - I got a go-cart for Christmas. Sadly the chain fell off the go-cart within two hours and of course, we couldn't get it fixed on Christmas Day because everything was shut.


We had a really nice Vauxhall Victor Estate, registration CEM AT. It was a great car with loads of room in it.

My Dad went to his club most evenings in Ince Blundell until my Mum banned him. This is where he got his snooker awards - we still have the trophies.

This is the Christmas party at Dad's club. We went every year until we all rebelled because we were too old to go to Christmas parties.



Round about the early 70s Dad decided to retire and sold his shops. He very quickly got bored at home though and got a job running the meat counter at our local Tesco on College Road. He worked there until he had a fall and damaged his hip. I was living in Newcastle at the time - in about 1984. he was 70 years old. He died when he was 87y but his hip was never the same - he limped and then could hardly walk for 20 years more. He was in a lot of pain but never complained. Mum on the other hand constantly complained despite not having much to complain about. A sort of division of responsibilities!

Mum worked delivering Dad's meat when we were young and then she got a job in Park House Nursing Home answering the phones - switchboard and reception. I used to work there a couple of nights a week of an evening when I was in the 6th Form. It was a great job because it was so quiet I could do my homework AND earn money. This meant that I always had loads of money for beer and girls - it was great!!

Park House was run by nuns and I remember once - there was a rat running round so one of them hit it with a brush and half killed it. They then came to me and asked me to finish it off - I had to go out with a shovel and decapitate a rat - one of the more bizarre roles you have as a receptionist.

Talking of nuns - I come from a very strongly Catholic family - my Dad had converted from Anglicanism so he could marry my Mum and we went to church every Sunday.





Simon, my older brother. His First Holy Communion.

Email this Story

Read more of Jonathan's Stories   |   Read other great Stories




You must be registered to leave comments. Register here! It's free!

Already a member? Login here

Member Since
Jan 2009
Sam Henderson said:
posted on Aug 31, 2011
GREAT pics

I love it when people intersperse their stories with pictures like you did. It makes them so much more real and interesting. Especially the pics with your parents - these are great